Monday, December 6, 2010

Holiday Gigs!

This week I performed for two Christmas parties. One opened with a prayer, and it wasn't the party in Utah. I suppose it is a religious holiday after all. It's always tricky telling jokes at a party where you know there's probably a couple of Bishops or Priests in the crowd, interestingly enough they usually are the ones that laugh the hardest at the "iffy" jokes.

I learned a lot about myself as a performer this week. The audiences for these parties have higher expectations than ones for a regular night at a comedy club. First of all they pay a lot more, secondly the people who book the gig for you usually talk you up a lot. So I was a little nervous and it made me talk really fast. I told 45 minutes worth of jokes in just about 35. It's easy to get caught up in the philosophy that your strength as a comedian is based off of your ratio of laugh time to set up time, so you end up racing through the setup of a joke to get to the punchline. This can make you come off as more robotic and rehearsed, which is not what you would want from a live performance. Part of the appeal is to feel like you are part of the moment. So another thing I have been working with is engaging the audience a little more, just enough to make them feel a part of the show, but not too much that you loose control to hecklers. Talking with the audience helps make me feel in the moment more as well. I hate catching myself on autopilot and then realizing that I forgot to set up a joke. It's weird when a joke that usually kills gets crickets.

I have one more holiday show planned for new years eve. I think everyone will be drunk so I probably will be doing a lot more jokes about nudity and bodily functions, it's going to be an awesome night of comedy in Twin Falls Idaho!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very cool. I definitely agree it is good to get the audience involved, but to balance it. And not get people involved that don't want to be...that's just awkward. But it is fun to feel like you are on a more personal level with someone, instead of just sitting there politely listening. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete