Monday, September 20, 2010

Master of Ceremonies

One of the hardest jobs as a comedian is the master of ceremonies or MC for short. It is the MC's job to warm up the crowd for the rest of the comedians on the show. This weekend I was the MC at two different venues. Friday and Saturday I worked the downtown comedy club wiseguys, then Sunday night I worked at A Bar Named Sue. It was their very first night trying out comedy and it showed. The sound system was being tweaked as I was trying to warm up the crowd. It's already hard enough to break the ice with a new crowd so when you compound that with them not being able to hear, it's a going to be a long 15 minutes, but by the time the headliner got up the kinks were worked out and the crowd was able to get into the show.

At the other club the shows were a lot of fun. I was able to see a difference in my energy level fluctuate between shows. When you have a really good crowd it can spark a lot of energy. I definitely feed off the energy of the crowd and visa-verse.  

I think the bar venue will get better. It's also a free show which lowers the expectations of the crowd a bit. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing. It's good to have more venues open up though, they just take a lot of work to get off the ground.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aaron, I think you should practice your comedy in front of the class. I'm sure it will help. Some days it seems like we need a good laugh in there. I'm sure we would all love to hear some of your jokes.

    ReplyDelete